Hopscotch, Skipping & Scouting

In this short story, I'm going to write in 1st person point of view as a 10-year old Brazilian immigrant in America, named "Iracema".


I was sitting on my porch swing 1 afternoon, & the neighbors across the street were playing outside. It was the day after my parents decided that they would move to the United States, for good, after their experiences here as foreign exchange students. I learned my English from them. I am an only child. 


The neighbors had some friends over, helping them draw on the ground, so that they could play hopscotch. They invited me over, but I was scared that my parents would get angry with me. They kept begging me. I finally asked, & my dad said, "Yes." 


I went over there. They taught me how to play hopscotch & jump rope. I wasn't sure why I couldn't get the hang of hopscotch, but quickly learned how to jump rope & play double dutch. I didn't realize that my dad had his arms folded, watching me the whole time, while smiling. I became pretty fancy with the double dutch jumping. I was the youngest 1 jumping, & everyone was so impressed that they wanted to watch me jump all evening.


Our jumping session was abruptly interrupted by these girls, around my age, selling "Girl Scout Cookies". The neighbors' parents shooed them away (treating them the same way people act when Jehovah's Witnesses or Mormons come knocking on their door), but both of my parents were interested & excited. My parents called me back home across the street, & they asked me to pick 2 boxes of flavors that I wanted. I chose the Caramel deLites/Samoas & the Thin Mints. Believe it or not, my parents bought up ALL of the rest of the boxes of cookies & loved them SO much! 


I went back to finish playing with the kids across the street. I tried hopscotch again, & was getting a little better at it. From that day on, the kids begged me every day, to play double dutch. 


THE END